Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Time...

I have been thinking a lot lately about time and how precious each moment we have on Earth is. Yesterday we watched some of our friends bury their one-year old little boy. It was one of the hardest things I have ever seen let alone for them to be going through. I feel so sorry for them. They had so little time with their sweet little boy. I am so grateful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation and forever families. I know that this is what is helping them through this difficult time.

On Sunday in our Relief Society lesson there was a quote that has been on my mind; it is from the May 2008 conference talk that Elder Ballard gave, it was from the author Anna Quindlen, she said: "The biggest mistake I made (as a parent) is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

I am starting to understand what it means to "live in the moment", and how important it really is. The most important thing we do in our lives is our how we treat those we love and the relationships we cultivate; not how clean our house is, or what we make for dinner, or how cute our house is decorated, or all the other things that we spend so much time worrying about.

I don't want to have any regrets when my kids are old. I want to remember all the little things, and I want them to remember how much I loved them. Because we never know how long we have here, I guess my challenge to you all is to live in the moment and enjoy all the little things in your lives that make it great.

8 comments:

Amberly said...

You couldn't have said it any better... I'm sorry about the loss of your friends little boy. How sad. Our time is precious. Thanks for helping us remember that. You're awesome!

strickland party of six said...

WOW, that is so ture. in todays world it seems like we are always rushed to to this and do that sadly as it is I can't keep up some times. I am so sorry for your friend, I couldn't imagin loosing one of my children. Time does go fast and we need to choose it wisly for one day you'll look back and it will be gone. I still say you should bring your girls up to play at our house my girl's would love it. The lesson sounded good on sunday I wish I could have been there but I choose to stay home to enjoy my kids over the rushed weekend we had, followed by the busy moring Monday brings...

Ang said...

Thank you, Jessi! That is really nice to be reminded of. We know that... so why is it so difficult sometimes?!? I'm going to take your challenge, and thanks for offering it to us!! My prayers are with your friends family. Take care!!

Melissa Zuber said...

You said it so perfectly. Thank you for sharing that.

Trent and Lindsie said...

My heart hurts so bad for that poor family. I loved this post even though it made me cry! Time is all we have and it is sad that the world makes us forget that too often. Thanks so much for the reminder!

Connor and Jana said...

What a great reminder!! I am going to take your challenge and treasure my time I have with my family. Thanks for that great thought! It is just the reminder that I needed!

Vintage Soul said...

Wow, I just wanted to say, thanks for that! I was there for that lesson but had to leave early so I didn't quite get the feeling of the whole thing. I totally agree with you! That is definately what I need to do in my life!! Thanks again!

Alaina said...

Thanks for that! It is so true. I want to cherish every moment with those that I hold so dear. I need to do better.