Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dandelions or Sunflowers?


Much to my annoyance, dandelions have been popping up everywhere in our yard. I cannot tell you how much I despise dandelions; probably because every Spring they take over our yard and it seems as if we spend the entire summer trying to keep them at bay. Gracie, however, loves them! Everytime she sees those little yellow demons popping up she says "Mom look at the beautiful sunflowers!" and then proceeds to pick as many as she can for me to put in a vase and put on display in the house. Today, I was digging up a few from my flower bed and she was traumatized that I would kill the flowers. You are probably wondering where I am going with this. . . After Gracie's and my conversation about why I was killing the dandelions/sunflowers, I started thinking how nice it would be to have the heart and mind of a 3 year old. To look at everything and everyone for the good that is in them instead of the bad. They seem to be able to find joy in everything. When or where in our lives to we lose that? I have decided to try to look at the world more as a child does, I am willing to bet it will make a big difference. So my point is enjoy the dandelions!

7 comments:

Amberly said...

I love the insight you have gotten from your 3 year old. Aren't kids so amazing? I love to hear my 5 year old's prayers. He always remembers the little things like "air" and "our eyes" and "our warm beds" that we seem to take for granted. I wish I could be more like a child more often too. Good luck with the dandelions!

Anonymous said...

Jessi! How are you? That was so fun to hear from you! Thanks for commenting. So how do you know Julia? She is so cute I love her! So how are things in good old Ephraim? We are missing it! We hope we will be back someday soon! Your girls are adorable! They are pretty close in age to mine!

About the dandelions, My girls are just the same. Madi runs and gathers them and gives each of us one. She is so cute!

Keep in touch! Tell Durke Hi

Dart said...

Every time we see dandelions, Alexis comments on how beautiful the flowers are and every time I tell her that they are weeds and not flowers. I didn't think about it until now that I have been raining on her parade. So what if they are weeds, she thinks they are beautiful So thanks for your post!

tash said...

Jessi how did you find us??? I'm so glad you did. Its been so long! You guys look great and i can't believe how much the girls have grown up! They are darling! James says hello too!

Elegante Family said...

Jessi, I am so glad I had a chance to see you today. I really miss you a ton. Your blog is super cute, and I am a little embarrassed for you to see mine. I am still trying to figure the whole thing out. It was fun to see those beautiful girls of your, and I can't wait to watch them on Wed. By the way Kiara LOVES dandelions!

Rebecca Hodges said...

Your family is so cute. I can't believe how big your girls are getting. I am always excited to have someone find our blog or find an old friends so I can see what they are up to. We are terrible at staying in touch. I hope it's okay I linked your blog to ours.
Rebecca

Nate said...

Durke and Jesse! We found your blog on our "surfing" through others links ! It's great to see how you are doing, and great to be able to keep up with you guys better!! You're family is adorable!!! Hope all is going well!!!